[mou] McGregor Marsh & Great Gray ~ Aitkin County

Conny Brunell connybrunell at earthlink.net
Wed May 28 17:49:31 CDT 2008

Early this morning from 1:00 am to 2:30 am Susan Schumacher and I had spectacular success at the McGregor Marsh along State Hwy 65 just south of McGregor and its intersection from State Hwy 210 hearing numerous Yellow Rails and Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows vocalizing.  We have had the best luck during these early am hours enjoying all the vocalizations from the Marsh with minimal traffic and maximum results.  From approximately .3 tenths south of this intersection for the next mile we had "27" Yellow Rails ticking and "8" Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows calling.  We did not play tapes, but chose to walk on both sides of the Marsh on the shoulder carrying flashlites and stopped and listened all along the way keeping count and thrilled by the intensity and high volume of calls.  We also heard American Bitterns, LeConte's Sparrows, and all the expected Marsh birds easily over the many Sedge Wrens calling.  The Yellow Rails appeared to be evenly matched on both the west and east sides of Hwy 65, however most of the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows were on the west side of Hwy 65.  The weather conditions were warm, calm and perfectly still during this count with the veiled dusky moon providing tranquil ambiance.

This morning we found the Great Gray Owl up on Aitkin CR 18  hunting roadside and perched close to the road offering terrific views never leaving our vehicle.  The GGOW we saw was 2.7 miles east of US Hwy 169 at 7:30 am.  There was no shortage of Connecticut and many other Warblers singing on territory as well as many Flycatchers including the Yellow-bellied singing up a storm easily heard with the windows down.

Coming back home via US Hwy 169 in Crow Wing County in Garrison Bay we observed 22 Rudy Turnstones on a dock out over the lake.

On Tuesday 5.27 in St. Louis County on Park Point while scanning the lake under calm, warm conditions in addition to the birds we previously reported we enjoyed a flock of approximately 100 shorebirds working the shoreline then taking flight out over the lake only to return back to shore and continue foraging.  During several counts the breakdown I had was 30 Rudy Turnstones, 46 Sanderlings, 15 Dunlin, 2 Black-bellied Plover, and 1 Semipalmated Plover, we also enjoyed a Scarlet Tanager and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher singing.
We then walked to the back mudfalts at 40th Ave W and there were 2 Willets and another Black-bellied Plover.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.