[mou] pine county raptors

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT at MSN.COM
Sat Nov 1 21:07:09 CDT 2008

Spent this afternoon at my sister's farm east of Pine City along the bluffline where it drops down into the Snake/St. Croix River confluence and hardwood plain.  While visiting and watching the valley view for a couple hours, 9 Bald Eagles (5 immatures), 1 Red-tailed Hawk circling with an eagle, and 1 Rough-legged Hawk (I was hoping for a Golden Eagle based on yesterday's Hawk Ridge report) ( I wished to have sat there all day for I wonder what I may have missed).
Traveling to the potluck I saw several raptors, mostly Red-tails, but one very gray looking one, thinking Goshawk, but couldn't get a make on it.
Several hundred Sandhill Cranes in harvested farmfields, and at sunset many flocks flying NE most likely to roost in Crex Meadows. The Red-headed Woodpeckers that have nested here below the farm have migrated out. mjb