[mou] Red-throated Loons still present at Garrison Bay

Warren wenelson at mlecmn.net
Sun Nov 2 20:52:09 CST 2008

Today, Bill Stauffer and I birded around the area and found quite a few
interesting birds.  First, the RED-THROATED LOONS  are still present in
Garrison Bay.  We watched them for quite a while as they swam from
within the bay in Crow Wing County and then further out into the lake
into Aitkin County.  Other birds of interest include: 2 BLACK-BILLED
MAGPIES, 2 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS and a MERLIN on
County Road 1. And on County Road 18: NORTHERN SHRIKE, 5 GRAY JAYS,
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, SNOW BUNTINGS, COMMON REDPOLLS, and maybe as
many as 100 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS. The crossbills seemed to everywhere
along the road, feeding on the cones, pecking gravel on the road and
drinking water in the ditches.   Warren Nelson