[mou] Black-backed Woodpecker / Dakota Co.

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:45:52 CST 2008

Hi all--
Thanks to Owen McMurtrey for posting the Black-backed Woodpecker sighting
from the Carleton Arboretum yesterday and thanks to Gene Bauer for drawing
my attention to Owen's post (I get my MN-bird posts by digest).

Erika and I went out and saw the bird this morning at 9:30 AM (3 November
2008).  We walked into the arboretum from the northeast edge along the major
trail that leads into the woods.  Ten to 15 feet after passing a sign
welcoming us into the arboretum, we IMMEDIATELY found the woodpecker feeding
low about 10 to 15 feet above the ground right next to the path.  I took
several photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/danerika/Woodpeckers#5264528624650579138
http://picasaweb.google.com/danerika/Woodpeckers#5264528626859100562
http://picasaweb.google.com/danerika/Woodpeckers#5264528630776490002

Erika and I did not flush the bird and we walked further into the arboretum.
 We did not see the bird when we left about 40 minutes later (although we
did not search for it beyond looking at the tree where we originally found
it.)

Owen--Welcome to Minnesota! I think the Arboretum location is actually in
Dakota Co., you might check.  You may also be interested (and other listserv
members are welcome to join) our Rice Co. listserv (simply contact
ricebird-subscribe at yahoogroups.com with no subject or message.)  I am not
sure if you posted your original sighting to the MN listserv (
http://lists.mnbird.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mnbird ).  I am not sure
why there are two listservs in Minnesota, but I have learned that you can't
fight it.  Different folks apparently belong to these listservs.

dan and erika

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
danerika at gmail.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau