[mou] Bird sightings, MOU-net and Seasonal Reports in The Loon

Paul Budde Paul.Budde at us.benfieldgroup.com
Wed Nov 5 09:49:40 CST 2008

This was sent to mou-rba yesterday, but it isn't clear that it was ever cross-posted to mou-net as it should have been.  My apologies if you get this twice.

Thanks to all for your postings of bird sightings on mou-net.  These reports certainly help some of us to see birds we would otherwise miss, and even for birds we can't go to see, your information helps all of us to know what's going on with the birds in Minnesota.

For those who might be new to Minnesota or to this listserve, I'd like to point out that the MOU's quarterly journal, The Loon, publishes a summary of observations for each season: spring, summer, fall and winter.  To include your observations in that compilation, please be sure to enter them into our on-line database.   From the MOU home page (http://moumn.org/) , click on "Seasonal Report" at the top of the page.  If you haven't registered before, you will be asked to do so - but it's easy as you just pick a user name and password and enter your e-mail address so we can contact you if we need to do so.

We would especially appreciate
*       early and late dates of the common species,
*       high counts of regular species, and
*       all records of uncommon birds or birds that are out of range.

It would be very helpful if you could also document any accidentals, casuals, or particularly unusual birds (out of range or extremely early or late migrants).  There is an easy form you can fill out on-line.  From the seasonal report checklist, as the bottom of that page click on "Enter RQD Documentation".  You can even attach digital photos or other electronic files to these submissions.

Posting birds via e-mail on mou-net DOES NOT get those birds into our database, so we ask that you visit the on-line checklist and enter your data for us.

Thanks!
Paul

Paul Budde
Seasonal Report Editor