[mou] late shorbirds

Dave Bartkey screechowl at q.com
Sun Nov 9 18:25:14 CST 2008

Hi everyone,
  The Hockema brothers and I chased the Black-legged Kittiwake today with no success, then we shot over to North Anderson Lake to once again view the Eurasian Wigeon only to find the marsh there mostly frozen over. The only waterfowl present were Mallards and a few Gadwall, along with some coots. The day was turning into a real stinker!

  There were a couple of bright spots at Lake Byllesby however. On the mudflats, we were able to find a group of three lingering shorebirds! Much to our surprise, there ended up being one Dunlin, one Killdeer, and one Pectoral Sandpiper! And in the cedars on the northeast end of the lake, we found a couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers. We also found another Yellow-rump at Maltby Nature Center in Goodhue County. And we founda small flock of Lapland Longspurs along CR 88 along the north side of Byllesby. We turned up a fourth shorebird, a Wilson's Snipe, at the Dennison sewage ponds in Rice County.

  One other notable - Tundra Swans were clearly on the move today as we saw and heard several very large flocks. All told, we probably had seen upwards of 600 - 700 birds, and that would be a conservative guess.

Good brding!

Dave Bartkey
screechowl at q.com
Faribault, MN