[mou] Northern hawk owl (Lake of the Woods County)

Wes Bailey jwbp54 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:54:20 CST 2008

Greeting MNBirders

While driving back from Roseau I spotted a northern hawk owl perched in a
snag along MN 72 in Lake of the Woods County about 1 mile north of the
Beltrami/Lake of the Woods County line. I found this owl in the large bog
complex near Big Bog SRA area. I had a great view of the bird and watched it
fly down to the ditch and grab a small rodent.

I also saw a lone roughed-legged hawk further north on MN 72 closer to
Baudette. On Sunday night (09 Nov) my co-worker almost hit a snowy owl while
leaving Hayes Lake State Park (not sure what county this park is located,
but 30 minutes SE of Roseau).

Wes Bailey
Grand Rapids, MN