[mou] W-w Crossbills in Otter Tail County

Jeff Schultz jschultz at lakesplus.com
Thu Nov 13 15:45:43 CST 2008

Good day,
    Finally got some good looks at a small flock, 6-8, of White-winged Crossbills here in the western part of Minnesota. The location is Thumper Pond golf course in the village of Ottertail. The entrance is off State Highway 108. The birds were feeding on spruce cones on the course. I saw 3 birds this morning and located this flock about 2 this afternoon. There have been several crossbill flyovers in the last couple of weeks but these were the first I've gotten my binocs on to positively identify.
    If you're interested, the easiest accessibility is from the clubhouse parking lot on Thumper Lodge Drive. Go around the west side of the building to the cartpath and go north to the spruces. There are several rows to check. We ask that you stick to the paths and not walk on the greens or fairways.
Jeff Schultz