[mou] WHITE-EYED VIREO, Nicollet County

Bob Dunlap rdunlap at gustavus.edu
Fri Nov 14 15:53:28 CST 2008

Around 3:30 this afternoon I noticed what I thought was a kinglet
hopping around in the cranberry bushes 20 feet outside my office window
at the Interpretive Center of Gustavus Adolphus College's Linnaeus
Arboretum in St. Peter. As I focused my binoculars on the bird, I was
shocked to see a juvenile White-eyed Vireo! I quickly grabbed my camera
and got one photo of the bird (through the window) before it flew off.
The bird seemed to be socializing with a small group of Black-capped
Chickadees.

Directions: From Hwy. 169 in St. Peter, go west on College Ave. Follow
College Ave. up the hill to where it ends at a T; take a left at this T.
Follow this up the hill to the first stop sign (you will pass dorms on
your left). Go straight past the stop sign and then take your first left
into the parking lot of the Interpretive Center (parking is free in any
of the lots on weekends). Walk to the left of the building to the
"backyard" and then look back toward the building.. There is a clump of
Highbush Cranberry (with abundant red berries) adjacent to a wooden
garden structure. This is where the bird was.

I will post a photo soon on the "Recently Seen" page.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County