[mou] (Fwd) great black-backed gull at the Virginia dump

Jim Lind jslind at frontiernet.net
Sun Nov 16 07:33:10 CST 2008

From:           	"Elizabeth Copper" <ecopper at plovergroup.com>
To:             	<jslind at frontiernet.com>
Subject:        	great black-backed gull at the Virginia dump

My husband and I today (11/13) found what appeared to be a first-
cycle great black-backed gull in a flock of primarily herring gulls
on the roof of a large building near the entrance to the Virginia
dump. The bird was generally pale in appearance compared to a nearby
first-cycle herring gull, was noticeably larger than the herring
gulls, and had a very prominent all-black bill. The bird™s head was
very pale almost white, the coverts were very speckled in appearance
contrasting with the black primaries. We saw the bird at
approximately 11:00 am watched it for about 10 minutes and it was
still sitting on the roof when we left.  The gull was not there when
I checked the following day.

The Virginia landfill is just east of Virginia, just north of 135,
apparently an extension of Bourgin Road.

Elizabeth and Robert Copper
Melrude