[mou] About the duck name - WIGEON or WIDGEON

Forest & Kirsten Strnad carowren at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 15:42:26 CST 2008

A question for your birders:

This afternoon I pressed the correction key on the duck Eurasian WIGEON and up came WIDGEON.

I checked Sibley, Peterson in USA, new Nt. Geo., Jonsson's, BIRDS OF EUROPE.  All spelled it WIGEON.

But Peterson's BIRDS OF TEXAS and BIRDS  of NORTH AMERICA by Robbins, Bruun aand Zim and they have WIDGEON.

Does any one know why the two different ways of spelling this duck's name?  In  the paragraph above the spelling of Wigeon was the same for both American and Eurasian.

Forest Strnad
Faribault, Mn.