[mou] Bald Eagle feast on Detroit Lake

Beau Shroyer beaunshroyerduckbuster at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 10:11:27 CST 2008

Little Detroit and most of Big Detroit froze over night, stranding 100s of A. Coot, plus the 6 C. Geese that are still aparently molting.  There are at least a dozen bald eagles feasting on the coots this morning.  There is one group of approximately 75 coots less than 10 feet from the city beach.  Should be a good show once the eagles start feeding on them.  So far they have not bothered the geese.  On a side note, 5 of the 6 geese are wearing federal leg bands.  They have been on the beach for several weeks.  I was able to record the numbers from one of them and it was banded locally this summer.  If the eagles start to pick them off, I'll be on a band scavenger hunt for sure.  Do metal detectors pick up on aluminum?