[mou] Park Point Redhead & More

Erik Bruhnke birdfedr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:25:47 CST 2008

Just got back a few minutes ago from birding Park Point. I'm not sure if
this is a significantly late sighting or not, but I had one REDHEAD this
morning. Amongst all of the Common Goldeneye, I also found a female
Bufflehead flying by, and one Red-breasted Merganser swimming alone. Right
as I arrived at the end of Park Point, there were tons of waterfowl flying
by (well over 1000 Mallards, and a rough estimate of at least 600 Canada
Geese). It was pretty cool!

One of the most interesting things I found this morning were the gulls at
the end of Park Point (in the partially frozen-over 'bay' just west of the
end parkinglot). I counted 164 Ring-billed Gulls and 38 Herring Gulls in the
flock of gulls sitting in this area Does anybody know if it's normal to have
a flock of Ring-billed Gulls this large, for this time of year?

Other land-bird sightings from this morning include Common Redpolls (70-80),
one Pine Siskin, and one lone Snow Bunting. The lake-side of Park Point was
pretty slow.

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN