[mou] Amazing concentration of Franklin's Gulls-Grant County

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:34:19 CDT 2008

Something special is happening in Grant County....last evening(10/1), I found myself at Pelican Lake just south of Ashby. I was there for over an hour, a little before the sun started to set. What I found was a sight to behold. The lake was absolutely covered with Franklin's Gulls....and this is no small lake. Flocks of gulls kept streaming in as I tried to count the mass of birds on the lake. I counted over 50,000 Franklin's Gulls on the lake from the boat launch on the northwest side of the lake. And yet...there were more. I counted the birds several times, and got to 50,000 before the individual gulls started turning into a white mass at the south end of the lake...too far for me to even begin to count them. The birds at the south end of the lake seemed to be as numerous as the 50,000+ I had already counted. I would conservatively estimate the number of birds to be 75,000....but there is little doubt in my mind that a thorough count could have revealed more than 100,000 Franklin's Gulls. I've never seen a congregation of gulls like this in my entire life. It kinda felt like I was in a movie....it really was unreal.

Ben Fritchman