[mou] an invitation

Tom Bell tnejbell at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 21:54:11 CDT 2008

As the MEP representative for MOU I am asked from time to time to post
announcements. I only post those that I feel may be important to some
of our members and are relevant to our organizations goals.

We would like to invite you to the following event, and if your
organization would be willing to forward this your members or put it
on your event calendar it would be greatly appreciated.  The event is
non-partisan, and is held to the standards of the University of
Minnesota.

Innovation 2008: Renewing America Through Smarter Science & Technology
Policy
October 20th and 21st

At the time of this conference, held on the University of Minnesota
Campus, we will be just two weeks away from the next presidential
election.  Soon after, the next administration will begin to set
national science policy for the next four years (if not eight years).
The policies that are created will determine how we educate the next
generation of scientists and engineers, what priorities we will have
for research funding and how we will tackle the challenges we face in
terms of energy, health, the environment and national security.

Whether you are a scientist, an educator, a student, an artist, a
policy maker or a member of the concerned public we invite you to join
us for an interactive discussion of the most pressing science policy
issues of our day.  Our partner Science Debate 2008 has been
advocating for a presidential debate on science.  While that has not
come to fruition this election cycle, we hope that you join us for an
event that aims to raise the visibility of science issues, and
highlight the importance of science for our society.

To aid in our discussion, Ira Flatow, Host and Executive Producer,
Talk of the Nation: Science Friday, NPR, will give a closing keynote
address about what he has learned while reporting on science policy.
Dr. Peter Agre, University Professor and Director, Johns Hopkins
Malaria Research Institute, Bloomberg School of Public Health; Nobel
Prize in Chemistry, (2003) will offer his perspective on science and
the elections, during his evening keynote remarks.

Throughout the conference participants will be given access to
electronic tools to add to the discussion.  Whether you are able to
attend or not, we hope that you will contribute to our conference
wiki.   It is your platform to begin the discussion that we encourage
everyone to be involved in.

Register Now
Full conference and keynote lunch rates available

Hosted by the Center for Science, Technology and Public Policy and
Science Debate 2008; in partnership with the Bell Museum of Natural
History, the Science Museum of Minnesota and Fresh Energy

Tom Bell
Grey Cloud Island
5868 Pioneer Rd. S.
St. Paul Park, MN 55071