[mou] Carver County

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 14:29:08 CDT 2008

Carver Park this morning had pretty much what you would expect this time of year.  First of fall Fox and White-crowned Sparrows were at the park.  Many more Juncos have arrived, and lots more White-throated Sparrows have returned.  Besides those there were: Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned, Palm, Nashville Warbler, Ruby-crowned, Golden-crowned Kinglet, and Hermit Thrush.

At the Chevalle wetlands in Chaska early this morning there were 100+(probably many more but most were  in the reeds) Red-winged Blackbirds. I was able to find 2 Rusty Blackbirds mixed in.  When I returned later most of the Blackbirds were gone.  There were a few Savannah Sparrows in the area around the wetlands as well. Waterfowl/Shorebirds: Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, Hooded Merganser(44 female/juvenile), Pied-billed Grebe, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs(4 when I returned later), Solitary Sandpiper(3 early morning), Least Sandpiper(2 juvenile later).  The life of 1 of the Least Sandpipers was saved by the warning call of a Mallard, as a Sharp-shinned Hawk nearly caught it.

John