[mou] Cackling Geese (Hennepin Co.) + others

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 4 19:04:23 CDT 2008

This evening (10/4) there were at least two Cackling Geese with a group of 100+/- Canadas at Lighthouse Pond in St. Louis Park.

There were another ~15 questionable individuals that were perhaps a few inches bigger than the Cacklers, had noteably larger bills, and traveled in seperate flocks, which I have seen Cackling do in the past. I strongly felt they were too small to be a Lesser subspecies Canada, and I saw one individual let out a higher, squeeky note. (I also heard one of the definite-Cackling vocalize, which sounded a bit shriller.) However, since I don't have a lot of experience with Cackling Geese, I left them as un-identified. I wonder if there were two subspecies of Cackling present. Any offline-advice is appreciated from a young birder wanting to learn more.

Other migrant/regular birds seen between yesterday and today at Westwood Hills Nature Center include Winter and Marsh Wren, Great Horned Owl, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and 6 sparrow sp (with Fox Sparrows being new.)

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, MN