[mou] Cacklers revisited

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 20:28:19 CDT 2008

I returned to Lamplighter (the correct name) Pond this early evening. Another visited earlier and found at least 10 Cacklers, but at 5pm I estimated up to 30 Cacklers. I also heard frequent vocalizations; I think a more appropriate name would be "Yelping Goose." I also ran into Chet Meyers while I was there, who estimated at least 5 races of Canada Goose (of ~150 birds present). I was able to take some less-than-mediocre pictures, the first time I have taken pictures on my own. I hope these pictures will further the understanding about Cackling Goose identification.

Pic #1: Cackler in front with Canada in back; see size comparison:
http://moumn.org/jpg/536-2.JPG
Pic #2: A slightly better comparison between Cackling (three in front), "Common" Canadas (two in back) and what may be a "lesser" Canada (farthest in back.) This illistrates the close size difference between Canada races and Cacklings:
http://moumn.org/jpg/536-3.JPG
Pic #3: Individual Cackler.
http://moumn.org/jpg/536-4.JPG
Pic #4: Size comparison between two Cacklers (front) and Mallard. Canada in far back.
http://moumn.org/jpg/536-1.JPG
Pic #5: Another individual Cackler.
http://moumn.org/jpg/536-5.JPG
I have another pic that shows a Lesser subspecies Canada Goose that has some qualities resembling a Cackler. E-mail me off-line if you would like to see it.

I would appreciate some feedback.
More specifics on location of Lamplighter Pond (St. Louis Park, Hennepin Co.): It is on the east side of Texas Avenue (when you see it, it appears to be parallel to the road). It's just behind a small church (look for a parking lot, and the pond has a trail going around it). This area is ~1/2 south of the intersection of Wayzata Blvd and Texas Ave.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, MN