[mou] Wisconsin Point (1/2 day belated)

Erik Bruhnke birdfedr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 06:42:54 CDT 2008

I had tons of gulls this morning. Not kidding.... I had a rough estimate of
at least 2,000 gulls, with about 100 Bonaparte's Gulls, all seen off of the
main overlook beyond the landfill at Wisconsin Point. I wasn't able to pick
out any rare ducks from this location. There was one Bonaparte's-sized gull
that had a good remnant of medium-gray hood on the back of it's head. This
stood out amongst the many nearby Bonaparte's Gulls' heads which had the
single dark mark behind their eye.

Before I went to the high overlook past the landfill, I spent my first 1 1/2
hours of this morning at the first pull-off area on Wisconsin Point. I did
have one female BLACK SCOTER from this location, as well as several dozen
Blue-winged Teal fly-by. In addition to the Blue-winged Teals, other noted
birds from this morning include: Scaup, 2 Redheads, 1 American Golden
Plover, 2 Sanderlings, and 1 Spotted Sandpiper.

I'm planning on checking Minnesota Point tomorrow before work. We'll see
what turns up :) Also, for anyone that's up in the Superior/Duluth area,
tomorrow looks like a very promising day at Hawk Ridge for a good flight of
raptors... Strong west winds with sun. Today we had just over 400 raptors.

Good birding,

Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN
birdfedr at gmail.com