[mou] No sightings Info request for Grand Marais/Gunflint Trail area

Jim Solum solum11 at msn.com
Mon Oct 13 20:31:52 CDT 2008

We are making our annual trip to Duluth then up to Grand Marais this weekend and was wondering what birds to expect. We are hoping to get better looks at Pileated Woodpecker this year and any advise on where they may be reliable would be appreciated. Any winter finch status would also be helpful. Last year we were fortunate enough to see Pine Grosbeak at the Campground at Grand Marais and a female Evening Grosbeak at the Gooseberry Falls feeders. Redpolls & Bohemian Waxwings were also present in the campground but I'm thinking they have not come down thus far. We've had good luck in Two Harbors by the lighthouse B&B with Black-Backed & Northern Three-Toeds (two years ago) and last year a nice male Black-Backed at the Moose Viewing pull-off. I haven't seen anything much on the listserve about Grand Marais so I'm worried things may be a bit slow.

Also, any tips on finding Moose, as we were VERY fortunate two years ago to see four on the Gunflint several miles east of the Trail Center Lodge on our way back to Grand Marais. Last year we didn't turn any up but we've searched years past with only one one time. I'm sure Gray Wolf is also a nil chance but any area that may be better than others would help our efforts.

Lastly, a direction to some active feeding stations that people wouldn't mind a family driving by once or twice. The weather is looking to be in the 50's and lows in the upper 30's while we are there so hopefully we'll see some good things!

Please back-channel me with ANY information you can provide as I've had a hard time knowing who to contact while up there. We have Kim's latest edition book and use it as our bible while there. As much information as we could get would be GREATLY appreciated!! We'll be able to check our email through this Friday.

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Good Birding!
Jim & Kayce Solum
solum11 at msn.com