[mou] Duluth and Two Harbors, 10/15 and 10/16...

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 19:46:30 CDT 2008

On 10/15 at Bayfront Park in Duluth, MN. there was a flock of at least 50
Horned Larks, also present were several white throated sparrows, white crowned
sparrows, and at least two Harris's Sparrows.  At this location and on
Minnesota Point at least 10 Bald Eagles were observed.  Also at Minnesota  Point, I
encountered a fairly large grouping, (approx. 20), of golden  crowned
kinglets.
On 10/16 during the AM hours I saw hundreds of Robins migrating down  the
shore between Duluth and Two Harbors.  I also observed several hawks  and
accipiters migrating, (I would not be suprised to hear that Hawk Ridge had a  fairly
active day, there were ALOT of raptors moving down the shore.)  At  lighthouse
Point in Two Harbors I observed three black bellied plovers, several  more
golden crowned kinglets, american pipits, several brown creepers, and to my
great amusement a small group, (5), winter wrens. There were  also multiple
flocks of pine siskins moving past lighthouse point, at  one point, a flock of 30
siskins flew right into my location as they responded  to my loud pishing
request:)   At the golf course in Two Harbors there were  three more black bellied
plovers, two sets of cackling geese, three ring  necked ducks, and four hooded
mergansers, (but no pear tree).  All in all,  a great morning to be out, with
many birds to be seen. I posted a picture  of one of the black bellied
plovers from lighthouse point in the showcase  section of MOU.
Enjoy the fall.
Shawn Zierman.