[mou] Red-throated Loons, Townsend's Solitaire, Fierce Competition +

Nathan Schirmacher natester166 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 18 13:28:24 CDT 2008

Nathan and I tried something a little different this morning - we competed for species totals and rarities in adjacent counties - he covered Mille Lacs and I covered Sherburne.

The old man lost on this wind blown day, 54-53 (species) and (at least) 2-1 (rarities).

Highlights included:

* Two Red-throated Loons, Mille Lacs Lake, Hillcrest and Garrison (latter was a county violation, but excusable due to scouting for next week's trip)

* Townsend's Solitaire, Sherburne County, Ann Lake/Sand Dunes (right of first parking lot) (seems awfully early to this observer)

* Northern Goshawk, Mille Lacs WMA (one also present yesterday on Sherburne's Auto Tour)

* Snow Goose, Mille Lacs County, just south of the reservation in the opposing lake (do you think I could find a Snow Goose?  Or any goose different from hundreds of Canadas, many with short necks but huge bodies?  I'm snake/goose bitten this year!)

* Eleven ducks total, including Ruddy & Bufflehead in Princeton Sewage Ponds

* Five Rough-legged Hawks in Mille Lacs County (none in Sherburne)

* Winter Wren, Mille Lacs CR 12

* Twelve sparrows total.

Also of interest were the dramatic differences between our lists - Nathan had 24 different species than I - I had 10 ducks, he had two (hunting pressure?) - he had five raptors, I had one - I had two warblers, he had none - he had Rusties and Brewers everywhere, I had only Red-winged - I had three shorebirds, he had one (different from my three).  Neither of us had any Meadowlarks (numerous yesterday in the refuge), Mourning Doves (wind?) or House Sparrows/House Finches.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher, on Nathan's computerNathan SchirmacherPrinceton,MNMille Lacs County