[mou] Black-backed Woodpeckers - Sherburne NWR

Scott Loss scottrloss at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 14:02:36 CDT 2008

This morning I found two Black-backed Woodpeckers (1 male, 1 female) along the Blue Hill hiking trail at Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge.  The birds were both found in the large stand of White Spruce at the westernmost end of the short loop of the trail.  The birds were each in different parts of the stand, and each could be heard tapping quite loudly.  I watched the female woodpecker drift off to sleep atop a dead spruce snag right along the trail.

Other species of interest at the refuge included:

Snow Buntings
Northern Shrike
Orange-crowned Warbler

Flyover: