[mou] Surf Scoter--- Dakota County

drewbec at aol.com drewbec at aol.com
Sun Oct 19 14:09:36 CDT 2008

This morning at approximately 10:30, I found an immature Surf Scoter on Black Dog Lake, on the west end out from the viewing platform. I studied the bird for nearly 1/2 hour, as it dove and then mostly preened. It would occasionally lift its chest up out of the water and pose. I watched it flap its wings; and also do a lot of rolling in the water to preen its belly and flanks. It kept swimming in the direction of the concrete pipe that can be seen further west, and I followed it by taking a foot path west from the viewing platform as far as it went. Closest looks were about 250 yards. I was distracted by looking at the gulls to see if there was anything interesting among them. When I went back to find the scoter, I never saw it again. Searched for over half an hour, and then later with Bruce Fall, without any luck. It may have left the area.

Earlier in the morning, I saw an adult Thayer's Gull by the west outflow, standing in shallow water with several Ring-billed Gulls and one Herring Gull for a nice comparison.

Drew Smith

Eagan, Dakota County