[mou] Black backed woodpecker in Duluth...

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 19:00:46 CDT 2008

This afternoon at approx. 3:45pm, I observed a female black backed
woodpecker near the intersection of 2nd Ave East and 7th Street very close to  Miller
Dwan Med Center.  The bird flew into a mountain ash tree as I was  walking to
my car after work.  I then ran to my car to get my camera,  however, after a
few minutes of resting on the mountain ash tree the woodpecker  flew off into
someone's yard then proceeded to fly up the hill towards 3rd  Avenue.  Oh well,
it was still a thrill to see one downtown.
At Bayfront Park there were ruby/golden crowned kinglets, white throated/
american tree sparrows, horned larks, lapland longspurs, a merlin, and most
interesting to me were two marsh wrens with good clean views of both to make a
positive id based on clear field marks.
Enjoy the fall, and as an aside, a dark eyed junco with a perfect white
throat like a white throated sparrow has been frequenting my backyard, kind of a
cool looking junco.
Shawn Zierman.