[mou] Banding codes

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 15:05:00 CDT 2008

Personally, I know most of these codes, or I know where to find them; however, I would have stated in my email that an SUSC was a Surf Scoter and that an RUDU was a Ruddy Duck, or at the very least, I would have posted a link to a list of banding codes.

This used to happen on the Texas bird list where a few birders would post their lists in banding code because they thought it was "cute", but in reality not many people knew what they were seeing.

I look at this as an OPPORTUNITY for an "advanced" birder to be a teacher and teach some of the newer birders the nuances of birding, and not to act like it's an elite hobby.  There is already too much of that out there.

Richard

 Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN
rwoodphd at yahoo.com