[mou] Carleton College: 3 Species of Geese on Lyman Lakes

Owen Scott McMurtrey mcmurtro at carleton.edu
Tue Oct 21 19:17:20 CDT 2008

Today at Carleton College on Lyman Lakes there were probably a couple hundred of the usual Canadas. It seemed as though the nominal, lesser, and giant races were all represented. One Cackling Goose which I found only at about 6 pm was also present. An unidentified goose was present from at least 9:30 AM until 6 PM

Pictures of the goose are located here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7851430@N06/2963109978/ and here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7851430@N06/2963109964/

If those don't work, the homepage, with the photos at the top of the page, is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7851430@N06/

Snow, Ross', or something in between? It could also be part domestic, which was my first thought because of the strange bill and neck, but when seen out of the water it did not have the deep belly typical of domestics and appeared fully capable of flight. I talked to Gene Bauer, a Carleton birder and we were both unsure.  Much about the face suggests Snow (and that's probably what it is), but it would still have to be a small Snow if it is one, as it appears much smaller than the Canadas in the photo, which were smaller than most Canadas I see.  It certainly was not larger than the lone Cackler on the lake.

Experts feel free to weigh in!

Also, thanks to all those who wrote messages of welcome.  I feel like I'm already more a part of the birding community here than I was in Chicago.  The trip to the Gunflint trail was pretty good.  Since it was primarily a Geology trip, I was mostly looking at rocks and I didn't have as much freedom of movement as I had hoped, but I did see PURPLE FINCHES, SNOW BUNTINGS, a NORTHERN SHRIKE, and a male and female RUFFED GROUSE, all of which are no big deal for Northern Minnesota, but still good birds for a Chicagoan.  The male Ruffed Grouse was displaying to the female, with tail fully spread and neck feathers erect.  I thought this might be curious behavior for mid-October.

--Owen McMurtrey
Carleton College
Rice County