[mou] Black backed woodpecker

ROBERT DJUPSTROM rdjupstrom at msn.com
Sat Oct 25 22:02:00 CDT 2008

Dear Sirs:  FYI

This past Tuesday (Oct 21) I had a female blacked- back woodpecker (Picoides arcticus) working over a dead balsam fir on my property near Holyoke, in Carlton County (Section 13, Silver Creek Township. The bird was not concerned over my presence even though I approached within 15 feet.

The are a lot of old (80 years) balsam on the property that are dying due to the drought of the last few years, wind and old age. This is the first one I have seen here but last deer season I had a male black backed woodpecker around my stand for a good 15 minutes. This sighting was 8 miles east in the Nemadji State Forest off the Harlis Grade.

Sincerely,

Bob Djupstrom