[mou] Three-toed Woodpecker in Cook Co

Kim R Eckert eckertkr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 09:27:42 CDT 2008

Yesterday morning, Oct 26, an Am 3-toed Woodpecker was briefly seen
along the Croftville Rd just E of Grand Marais, but it quickly flew
off to the east towards the Devil Track River and was not relocated.

There were just a few other highlights seen during our so-called
Muffin Run which we do annually along the North Shore on the last
weekend of October. Also seen by at least part of the group were:
White-winged Scoter (Two Harbors), Black Scoters (Two Harbors & Grand
Marais), Long-tailed Duck (Taconite Harbor), a late Spotted Sandpiper
(Grand Marais), Orange-crowned Warbler & Western Meadowlark (both
Grand Marais), and White-winged Crossbills (several flocks migrating
down the North Shore, especially at Stoney Point).

Denny & Barb Martin, who are staying an extra day in Cook Co, also
called to report they relocated a Harlequin Duck yesterday afternoon
at the Grand Portage sewage ponds which another birder had found on
Saturday (sorry: I don't know who he was) and they had Surf Scoter at
Paradise Beach.

But that's about it, as the migration this fall (especially of land
birds) continues to be mostly slow and disappointing in NE Minnesota,
and few winter-type specialties have been reported so far. We'll see
if the strong cold front currently passing though the state will bring
any changes.  Kim Eckert