[mou] [mnbird] lakewalk Duluth again

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 22:15:24 CDT 2008

Hi Sandra,

Go to the MOU website (http://moumn.org/) , choose "Review Reported Birds" , choose "Query Sightings Database".   choose Palm Warblers, fix the dates to be inclusive (1901 thru 2008) and you will get a listing of all reported palm warblers in the database.  the reports will be in date order and will give who saw the birds and where.  Pretty damn neat (sorry about the language), if you try it.

You will see that your date of 10/28 is the second latest reported, although there have been multiple reports on 10/26 and 10/27.  Interestingly, almost all of these late dates are on the north shore.  Now you will know how to research this kind of question.  Note: I believe this is the only state in the country that you can do that.

You will also note that the reports of the species have increased significantly over the last few years as more observers are reporting their sightings to the MOU.  Reporting your sightings are easy.  look under "Reporting Birds"  This sighting is worthy of writing up an RQD (ReQuest for Documentation) form, which will be reviewed by the MOU Records Committee (MOURC).  It usually takes a few RQD's before MOURC accepts them.  Really unexpected birds usually will require exceptional documentation. Photos help.

sweston2 at comcast.net