[mou] Adult Goshawk at Sandy Point Co. Park (Jackson Co/ SW MN)

Eric Harrold gentilis03 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 12:26:13 CDT 2008

Folks,

Yesterday evening, my rat terrier and I had a neat and most unexpected encounter with an adult Northern Goshawk at the park we frequent visit. My dog was walking along a hedgerow when all of a sudden this large gray bird landed on a branch about 15 feet above him. As I was standing only 50 or so feet away, it didn't take long to figure out what the large gray bird was. The hawk seemed to intently watch him for about half a minute before hopping over to a branch adjacent to a planted conifer tree. Shortly thereafter, it became apparent what its focus was. A female pheasant was perched on one of the limbs about 3 feet away from the hawk. My guess would be that the hawk had chased her into the tree and we were only an interruption. The hawk stayed in position for about 3 minutes, long enough for me to phone a fellow falconer and share what I was seeing. When I walked a bit closer, I flushed the Gos, but the pheasant of course wouldn't budge. It took me
 approaching and grabbing branches and shaking them in order to get the pheasant to flush. I was hoping the Gos would stay close and resume chase, but both birds flew over the hedgerow and there was no way to tell what might have happened.

I was also treated to great looks at a hunting Sharp-shinned Hawk and once saw it make a pass at a Blue Jay that hastily retreated to the interior of the hedgerow. Hopefully future visits to "accipiter alley" will be just as fruitful.

Eric Harrold
Lakefield, MN