[mou] Cook County-2 Northern Hawk Owls

Earl Orf earlorf at uslink.net
Wed Oct 29 23:15:19 CDT 2008

I drove up the Gunflint Trail today and found two Northern Hawk Owls.  The first one was 23 miles north of Grand Marais.  It was just south of the road that is labeled Moose Viewing Area.  It was being mobbed by one Blue Jay, four Gray Jays, and a small flock of White-winged Crossbills.

The second Hawk Owl was 37.5 miles north of Grand Marais.  I only had a short look at it before it flew off.

White-winged Crossbills and Snow Buntings were seen at many places along the Gunflint and Lima Mountain Road.  I found two Hooded Mergansers and two Bufflehead on a small pond.  Many of the small ponds were frozen over today.

I saw Pine Grosbeaks again today.  One American Pipit was found on FR 325.

One Black Scoter was still present in the Grand Marais harbor.

Earl Orf
www.earlorfphotos.com