[mou] [rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, October 30, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Oct 30 19:50:47 CDT 2008

Fox Sparrow
Snow Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Rusty Blackbird
Purple Finch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 30, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, October 30,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Leaves are more than 95% on the ground in the northwest, leaving only
the hardy poplars and some tamaracks to lend color to the landscape.
Winds are cold, and migration of sparrows and waterfowl is winding down.
Northern and irruptive species are starting to be seen, and we are all
looking forward to an interesting winter season.

>From Roseau County, Stan Wood at the Roseau River WMA reported that a
SNOWY OWL was seen on the main dike south of Pool 2 on October 23. A
NORTHERN SHRIKE was also found on October 23 at the Y in the main dike
on the southwest corner of Pool 2.

Pat Rice reported a GREAT BLUE HERON along Power Dam Road in Beltrami
County on October 27.

At Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Gary Tischer reported a NORTHERN
SHRIKE seen by Maggie Anderson at Mud River Pool. Other species being
seen at the refuge include TUNDRA SWAN, TRUMPETER SWAN, about 200
SANDHILL CRANES, BALD EAGLES, NORTHERN HARRIERS, and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS.
Linda Johnson and Diana Morkassel both reported BALD EAGLES north of
Warren this week. Craig Bakke saw a GREAT HORNED OWL this week in
Marshall County.

In Pennington County, Sue Braastad observed a SNOWY OWL along MN 32 just
north of St Hilaire on October 24. A NORTHERN SHRIKE visited the
Braastad feeder along the Red Lake River a few miles east of Thief River
Falls on October 27. Five or six GRAY PARTRIDGE flew over our yard at
sunrise on October 27. As I was on the way to work, I was not able to
relocate them quickly and have not seen them again.

Nate Emery in Polk County reported SNOW BUNTINGS along US 2 west of the
University of Minnesota at Crookston and also at Glacial Ridge on
October 26. He saw a GREAT BLUE HERON near Burnham Creek at the south
end of the Glacial Ridge Project, and a SHORT-EARED OWL at Pankratz
Prairie. Bruce Flaig reported a GREAT HORNED OWL in the southern part of
the county on October 27.

>From Otter Tail County this week, Jeff and Amy Drake observed RUFFED
GROUSE, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, NORTHERN CARDINAL, FOX SPARROW, RUSTY
BLACKBIRD, and PURPLE FINCH among many other species. Dan and Sandy
Thimgan watched a BALD EAGLE near Battle Lake stalk and harass an
AMERICAN COOT until it was too exhausted to evade capture and became
dinner.

A SNOWY OWL was found by Gordon and Artis Martinson at the Breckenridge
wastewater treatment ponds in Wilkin County on October 23.

Thanks to Bruce Flaig, Gary Tischer, Gordon and Artis Martinson, Jeff
and Amy Drake, John Braastad, Linda Johnson, Nate Emery, Pat Rice, and
Stan Wood for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, November 6,
2008