[mou] [mnbird] Isanti Co. Whooping Cranes

carol urness curness at msn.com
Mon Sep 1 18:18:27 CDT 2008

Mark Johnson, of Mora, and I saw the three whooping cranes this afternoon at the same place as they were seen earlier by Ned Winters and Carolyn Walkin, and before that by mjbade. Am checking the camera shortly to see if I got some decent photos. No matter, they were a wonderful present for Labor Day. Carol Urness> From: nwinters at isd.net> To: mnbird at lists.mnbird.net; mou-net at moumn.org> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:48:34 -0500> Subject: [mnbird] Isanti Co. Whooping Cranes> > While birding Isanti County today, Carolyn Walkin and I found 3 Whooping> Cranes in the extreme NW part of the county in the Dalbo State Wildlife> Management Area. The parking area we observed the birds from is on 421st> Avenue NW (the gravel road that is the county line between Isanti and> Kanebec Counties), 2.1 miles west of State Highway 47.> After talking to Kim Eckert, who had talked to the Fish and Wildlife Service> after I left him a message, it is felt that these are the three birds that> the FWS lost track of from the Wisconsin flock. We observed the birds for> about 40 minutes, and during a period that we weren't actively looking at> the birds, they disappeared. As we were leaving the area to try to relocate> them, we talked to a farmer who has a permit to farm in the WMA. He said he> had just seen three "big white birds" flying to the east as he drove up. He> thinks he has seen them in this area for almost two weeks. We never did find> the birds again.> > Ned Winters> St. Paul, MN> > _______________________________________________> mnbird mailing list> mnbird at lists.mnbird.net> http://lists.mnbird.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mnbird