[mou] Shorebird ID help

Dennis and Barbara Martin dbmartin at skypoint.com
Tue Sep 2 12:49:28 CDT 2008

Pictures are needed to support the identification of a given bird.  Since
you gave no information as to what you observed in the field  or what you
think the species is then the picture is of no value in determining the
species.  Since this picture appears to show a bird about the same size and
with the same bill as the identified Stilt Sandpipers what makes you think
that it is anything different?  The picture is not of good enough quality to
show anything in the plumage details like feather pattern or colors.

We find that species like shorebirds tend to stick around for relatively
long periods of time thus allowing one to study the bird for a much longer
time than many other birds.  Thus you usually can figure out what the
species is.  A photo is an extremely short look at a bird that unless the
photo is of very high quality does not help much in the identification of
the bird.  One of us spent 20 minutes looking at a shorebird on Sunday that
seemed to defy identification due to distance.  But after 20 minutes the id
seemed to be clear and others were called to the scope to look at the
species to see if others agreed and were seeing the same field marks.  As it
turned out we were right but we would have learned more whether we were
right or wrong.

:)

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN