[mou] Old Cedar Ave. Bridge warbler wave, Hennepin Co.

Jason Caddy j.caddy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 21:44:35 CDT 2008

Today I went out looking for migrants at the Minnesota Valley N.W.R.. Although it was cloudy and cool, there was a lot of activity! The trees and shrubs both east and west of the Old Cedar Ave. Bridge were full of migrating warblers with plenty of other migrants as well. In the short time I was there I found 55 species with 11 being warblers.
Highlights:

Bay-breasted Warbler- 1
Mourning Warbler- 1
Northern Waterthrush- 1
Black-and-white Warbler- 7
Ovenbird- 4
Chestnut-sided Warbler- 3
Wilson's Warbler- Numerous, at least 12-15
Common Yellowthroat- 8
American Redstart- 5
Nashville Warbler- The most numerous warbler, possibly 50 or more
Tennessee-Numerous, maybe 40 or more
Scarlet Tanager- Female
Wilson's Snipe- A pair flying overhead
Sora- Saw 1 and heard numerous others but missed on the Virginia Rail that was feeding its young here last week.
R-T Hummingbird- Probably the most I have ever seen before, they were chasing other birds around and feasting on the Jewelweed blooms.
Cooper's Hawk- 2, One chasing a Green Heron through the air but it gave up (lucky for the heron).

There was very little shorebird habitat in the area and oddly almost no swallows.

Good Birding,

Jason Caddy
South Minneapolis
j.caddy at hotmail.com