[mou] Help with an unidentified bird

Forest & Kirsten Strnad carowren at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 15:11:34 CDT 2008

Greetings:

 I just came back from our kitchen window where I saw a bird colored like no bird I have ever seen before:

It was the size of a Downy, or Hairy, Woodpecker.  It lit in our apple tree and picked at an apple,  just beginning to turn but not red at all.  The bird, facing me was dark gray on head, and from throat to down on the  bellly  I could see. I took it to be a woodpecker, but it didn't peck on the tree at any time.  I could see that the back was speckled.  It had black streaks or stripes seen, partially from the side. I did not see the whole back.  It flew across the Strraight River and landed on the side of a tree.  I pointed my binoculars toward where I thought it landed in the tree. I did not see this bird but i did see an adult Red-bellied Woodpecker, in the area.

I have looked at Sibley and National Geographic and I cannot see any picture of a woodpecker that has a solid gray front, and black and white speckles on side, and probably the back.

Your help would be greatly aoppreciated.

Forest Strnad
Faribault, MN.