[mou] about the unidentified bird

Forest & Kirsten Strnad carowren at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 18:29:17 CDT 2008

GREETINGS:

Four birders responded to my inquiry about the unidentified bird.  THREE, of you suggested Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  One suggested Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Thanks to each of you for  your response.  I still don't see any pictures in my bird books of a gray head, throat and breast on a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Though you have suggested that this species varries.

SInce I saw an adult Red-belleid Woodpecker fly from a tree where I think the bird landed I am  inclined to think it was an immature Red-bellied Woodpecker.  I have had Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in the tree.  Their position seemed different than this unidentified bird.

Good birding to each of you.

Forest Strnad
Faribault, MN.