[mou] Interesting chickadee recapture(s)

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 09:42:19 CDT 2008

Hi All--

One aspect of my banding activity is to compare captures in a residential
setting in Northfield to those along side a fen along the Cannon River in
Rice Co.  The two sites are only 2.5 miles apart, but quite different
ecologically.

I was surprised this morning when a small flock of Black-capped Chickadees
flew into the fen area (I would have thought by now I would have banded all
the locals).  I caught three birds, two of which I had banded on 27 August
2008 at my Northfield banding site.  I guess I should not be surprised that
young chickadees might not wonder 2.5 miles, though it does seem noteworthy
that the two birds have stayed together.  (On the other hand, of the 2000
birds or so that I have banded at both sites, these are the first to be
enountered at both sites.)  I also suspect there is not too much hard
evidence for chickadee movements, even short range ones, since birds are so
seldom recovered beyond where they are banded.

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
danerika at gmail.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau