[mou] Rock Wren, Otter Tail County

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan at digitaljam.com
Fri Sep 19 15:01:38 CDT 2008

Rock Wren -- Friday, Sept. 19, 1:00 p.m.  Inspiration Peak, Otter
Tail County

At the top of Inspiration Peak today, while lunching and watching for
raptors, we saw a "wren-like" bird land on top of a fence post about
50 feet away.  The size and light color of the bird caught our
attention, it was too big (about 5 1/2 inches) and incorrectly
colored for the expected wren species. The bird was very cooperative
and stayed there for at least five minutes -- we were able to observe
it with binoculars, and took photos from that distance.  Then, Sandy
moved closer to the bird with digital camera in hand taking photos
along the way, she got within 10 feet of the bird to get the final
couple photos.  Exciting!!!  Sandy's non-birding brother even
pretended to be thrilled.  ;-)

The photos were taken on someone else's camera, so we will have to
wait until Monday to get them and post them to the MOU site along
with observation details/documentation.

A beautiful day to be up on Inspiration Peak -- saw lots of turkey
vultures, some Bald Eagles, some smaller raptors too far out to ID,
and some tourists from Arizona.  Fall colors are just beginning to
appear, so worth a trip up there.

Sandy and Dan Thimgan
--
Thimgans