[mou] Ashby MN birds & Merlin question

Jeff and Amy Drake jadrake at arvig.net
Sat Sep 20 22:27:35 CDT 2008

This morning there were still extensive rafts of coots on Lake Christina north of Ashby MN along Hwy. 78.  I also observed 3 large flocks of pelicans floating among the coots.  I didn't have time to count them but would estimate 50 or so all together.

Also, are there Merlins around the area this time of year?  I thought I saw a couple on my drive.  I didn't stop on the freeway to look at the first one.  The second I thought I saw was in Hector, MN at about 4:00 pm just south of Hwy 212 on the east side of town near the long tin storage sheds.  It was sitting on a steel post by the drainage ditch along the dirt road.  It flew as I drove past & when I came back I could not relocate it.  It was definitely too large to be a kestrel, had a light breast, slatey back, & falcon shaped wings.  I thought I saw the "sideburns" but can't be sure.  There was quite a bit of dust and I had a pickup coming up too fast behind me to dawdle safely.

Amy Drake