[mou] Itasca Birding Club field trip results

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 27 17:42:22 CDT 2008

This morning, the newly-formed Itasca Birding Club birded along the Mississippi River in Grand Rapids at the library, Pokegama Dam, and Veteran's Park.  The ten of us--including a couple visiting from Australia--found over 40 species.  Sightings included:

Grand Rapids public library river walk:  Common Merganser, Green Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Orange-crowned Warbler, Palm Warblers, Harris's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrows

Pokegama Dam and associated campground:  Wood Duck, Pied-billed Grebe, Brown Creeper, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Harris's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow

Veteran's Park:  Bald Eagle, Belted Kingfisher, Pileated Woodpecker, Brown Creeper, Tennessee Warbler, Pine Warbler, and literal herds of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm Warblers, White-throated Sparrows, and Dark-eyed Juncos

We also created a schedule of Itasca County field trips open to "outsiders!" that I'll share when finalized...in case any of you want to join us in the fun up here.

Afterward, I stopped at the Grand Rapids wastewater treatment plant and saw 2 Cackling Geese among a flock of Canada Geese, but not much else of interest.
Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/