[mou] Duluth area birds

linda whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Tue Sep 30 22:23:27 CDT 2008

We've just returned form a few days in the Duluth/Two Harbors area. On
Sunday we caught up with friends in the Kim Eckert tour; our apologies
and thanks go out to Kim and his group for tolerating our intrusion
and sharing their experience with us. We continued birding for two
more days with Don Harrington.

Highlights were:
a learning experience, centered around what we hoped was an Arctic, or
at least Pacific, loon; in the end, it was a juvenile c. loon,
which was determined by examining some hard-won photos
black-throated blue warbler (female)
both kinglets
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
sparrows: fox, white-crowned, white-throated (MANY)
Brown Creepers
Winter Wren
Cackling Geese
Black Duck
Am. Golden Plover
Sanderlings
Thayer's Gull, juvenile
Lapland Longspur
Am. Pipit
Hawk Ridge raptors, especially N. Goshawks

(At Park Point, a red fox crossed our path above the dunes, looking
very healthy and well-fed. presumably, he's enjoying migration in a
more visceral way.)

Linda and Rob Whyte