[rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, June 5, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Jun 5 19:41:14 CDT 2008

Golden-winged Warbler
Grasshopper Sparrow
Le Conte's Sparrow
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow
Bobolink
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: June 5, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, June 5,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Migration is largely over with only the stragglers arriving now. Sounds
in the backyard have dramatically decreased within the last few days.
There seem to be some species that are largely missing or nearly so in
the northwest - I have noticed an absence of House Wrens, and decreased
numbers of Black-capped Chickadees, vireos, and flycatchers, except for
the Least Flycatcher. Weather has lately been cold and wet, not
welcoming to birds or birders.

John Ellis reported a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER,
and GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER near Lake Christina in Douglas County on May
30.

>From Cass County, Ben Wieland reported NELSON'S SHARP-TAILED SPARROW and
YELLOW RAIL at Boy River Marsh along CR 8 on June 1. At Pelican Island
there were BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, 15 RUDDY TURNSTONES, 15 SANDERLINGS,
and 2 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.

In Wilkin County, Matt Mecklenburg found a WESTERN KINGBIRD in front of
the gas station in Foxhome on May 30.

>From Otter Tail County , Tom Smith saw a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER southwest
of Fergus Falls on June 2.

Scott Kahan reported from Hamden Slough NWR in Becker County. On June 3
at Bisson Lake there were AMERICAN BITTERN, AMERICAN AVOCETS, MARBLED
GODWIT, and WILSON'S PHALAROPES. GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKENS are still
booming at the refuge, and SANDHILL CRANES can be heard nearby. Beau
Shroyer found SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPERS, and one DUNLIN at the Detroit Lakes city beach on June 4.

In Clay County at Felton Prairie on June 3, Scott reported booming
GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKENS, UPLAND SANDPIPER, MARBLED GODWIT, and
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. At Hitterdahl WPA, there are nesting RED-NECKED
GREBES. At Hatchett Lake WPA, a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS are nesting.

Steve Dahl in Red Lake County east of Plummer found a WILSON'S SNIPE
nest with four young on May 30.

On May 30, I saw 7 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS flycatching over a farm pond in
Smiley Township, Pennington County. Other species seen in the township
included 14 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, MARBLED GODWIT, and many LE CONTE'S
SPARROWS. There was also a COOPER'S HAWK that flew through our yard that
day, and on June 4, a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO was heard singing in the
yard.

Bill Reynolds was at Agassiz NWR in Marshall County recently where he
reported seeing BOBOLINKS which are usually visible at this time of year
along the county road that runs along the west side of the refuge south
of CR 7.

Stan Wood at the Roseau River WMA in Roseau County had a rare visit from
a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER at the bird feeder on May 30. Beth Siverhus saw
3 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS in Warroad on June 3. She also had a report of a
brown and white DOWNY WOODPECKER, probably a leucistic individual, but
interesting and surprising to see.

Thanks to Beau Shroyer, Ben Wieland, Beth Siverhus, Bill Reynolds, John
Ellis, Matt Mecklenburg, Scott Kahan, Stan Wood, Steve Dahl, and Tom
Smith for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, June 12,
2008.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN