[rba] [mou] Fwd: Laughing Gull in Olmsted County

rba at moumn.org rba at moumn.org
Sun Jun 15 11:31:41 CDT 2008

I agree with all of Kim's comments.  The thing that struck me most strongly
was the bill (especially the first picture).  I have much more experience
with laughing gulls than Franklin's, and I have always been struck by how
very large the laughing gull bill appears relative to head size.  The
Franklin's bill is comparatively much smaller.  On this feature alone, I
would call this bird a Franklin's gull.
Marshall Howe