[rba] [mou] Carolina Wren? Northern Mockingbird? Tufted Titmouse? Rice

Pastor Al Schirmacher rba at moumn.org
Mon Jun 23 09:53:08 CDT 2008

There has been some excellent dialogue on the identity of the heard bird on
the Aitkin field trip Saturday.

The bird sang repeatedly for a couple of minutes, then shut down.  The song
could easily be transliterated as "Peter, Peter, Peter", but with an
occasional two note ending as well, and much more musical than Tufted
Titmice that I've historically heard in southern Wisconsin over the years
(former residence).  It was very loud/emphatic.

About half the group joined searched visually for the bird, but we were
hampered by the ponds and under/overgrowth.  We did glimpse furtive movement
around a cavity, but never had anything like definite views (as noted in the
original email).

We came to the conclusion that the closest song was a Carolina Wren after
playing a CD - believe it was the second or third set of calls on Stokes (?)
that was a match - one person noted a short response from the bird while
playing it.

Today I read an equally plausible audio ID:  Northern Mockingbird.  This
comes from the gentleman who originally heard it while doing a BBS last
week.  Mockingbirds have been seen in this refuge on a number of occasions
by staff (and others) - whereas Carolina Wren is a statistical anomaly
there.

So we need a good visual ID!  The bird was singing in the (right side of
road) pond with dead snags a few hundred yards or so before one completes
the loop and begins heading out again.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN