[rba] mou-rba maiing list

Paul Budde Paul.Budde at us.benfieldgroup.com
Fri May 23 15:22:35 CDT 2008

I have some questions/thoughts.  I'd like this to work, but I'm trying
to think of what can go wrong.

1.  Under this design we will have some birders who only subscribe to
rba.  They will only get "notable" birds and presumably the rbas).  We
will have another set of people who subscribe to both and set mou-rba to
"no mail" to avoid double posts.   These people can post to either
listserve.  We will also have some who only subscribe to mou-net (for
simplicity's sake).  If such a person finds a bird to be posted to
mou-rba, he or she will either post to mou-rba and wait for someone to
approve it, or will just post it to mou-net.  I suspect that the latter
will happen (especially if they want to get the word out quickly).

2.  Where should these have been posted? Net or rba?

5/23 KEWA Scott (refind)
5/23 LEOW Hennepin
5/22 LOWA Sibley
5/22 KEWA Scott (a refind, but the original post to mou-net)
5/22 NOMO St. Louis
5/20 BRAN St. Louis (one of many refind posts)
5/19 HUGO Nicollet
5/17 YBCH Freeborn
5/15 FEHA Big Stone
5/15 SUTA Cook
5/15 SUTA Aitkin
5/13 SUTA Lake
5/13 PALO St. Louis

Note that these are either "good" (but are they notable?) regular
species or refinds.

3.  We can't assume that the subscribers know what birds are casual or
accidental, or that they will be willing to take the time to look them
up.

4.  A personal "FOY" doesn't belong on RBA, but what about a true FOY
for Minnesota?

5.  Should our overall guidance be "post anything on mou-rba that you
would otherwise call the RBA compiler about"?  And then we could follow
with some black and white suggestions and recognize that there is a lot
of gray in the middle?

In general, I think we need to cut people a LOT of slack regarding where
they choose to make a post (net or rba).

Paul