[rba] [mou] Red Knots in Duluth....

rba at moumn.org rba at moumn.org
Thu May 29 19:32:45 CDT 2008

Mike Hendrickson and I saw the two Red Knots at about 4:00 PM today on
the bay side of the Park Point Recreation Area (thanks, Shawn) and
then walked to the lakeside beach, where we found a third Red Knot
standing side by side with an American Golden-Plover -- both birds
were wearing full nuptial plumage. We saw several other shorebird
species in the area, including a flyby Black-bellied Plover, and about
a dozen Dunlin and a late Least Sandpiper. Earlier today, I saw three
Black-bellied Plovers and two Willets at 40th Ave West, and four Ruddy
Turnstones at Interstate Island, for a total of 12 species of
shorebirds in Duluth 5/29.

Also at Interstate Island early this morning was a Franklin's Gull --
this species is a rare migrant at Duluth.

Several observers saw up to four Red-throated Loons and the alternate-
plumaged Pacific Loon on Lake Superior today, at various locations
between the 12th Street public access and the Beach House at the
Recreation Area on Park Point.
--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN