[mou] Great Blue Heron Rookery

Marklarose@aol.com Marklarose@aol.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:19:08 EST

    With the recent reports of nest abandonment by herons north of the twin
cities, is there anyone who monitors the locations of known rookeries? I
thought I remember reading in the Star Tribune or some such source that there
were very few known rookeries near the twin cities. I have lived in Carver
county on Lake Waconia for the past four years and there is a VERY active
rookery nearby of great blues with occasional great egrets. Last year there
appeared to be several dc cormorants nesting as well, maybe not a good
development. Does anyone affiliated with MOU need this info? The herons
standing in the tops of the trees at dusk reminded me of the concerns at
other sites.

Thanks for any info,

Mark LaRose