[mou] Great-tailed Grackle in Brown County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:06:56 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C305AB.63DFE570

Hello:

While birding at the Sleepy Eye sewage lagoons late this morning I found =
one male Great-tailed Grackle.  When I pulled up at the entrance it was =
directly in front of me(about 150 feet away)  feeding on the grass and =
gravel road that divides the north and south lagoons.  My first =
impression was that it was a crow but when I looked at it with my =
binoculars I saw the huge tail, slender body and long, thin bill.  There =
were some Killdeer standing near it and it appeared to be twice the size =
of them.  Despite the wind, I could clearly hear the whistles and clacks =
it gave when it called out.  I watched it for about five minutes before =
it flew off to the north.  As I left the lagoons to go home a short time =
later, I rediscovered the Great-tailed Grackle feeding in the water =
filled ditch along Hwy. 4 and only a few feet from the entrance road to =
the lagoons .  I was able to study it really up close this time from a =
distance of probably twenty feet and again could more clearly see how =
large this bird is.  Also evident from this distance was the yellow eyes =
and iridescent black and purple on its body.  After a minute or so it =
flew out of the ditch and landed in the cattails a short distance away.  =
As I pulled out on the highway to leave I noticed that it flew back to =
the entrance road of the lagoons and was feeding on some spilled grain =
that someone had dumped there.   =20

I saw no shorebirds at the lagoons today with the exception of some =
Killdeer.  On the east lagoon there were large numbers of waterfowl, =
most of which were Canvasbacks.  There was one American White Pelican as =
well.  Please be aware that if you visit the lagoons and walk out on the =
road that divides the north and south lagoons there is a Canada Goose =
nest located about half way down the road with six or seven eggs in it.  =
As you would imagine, the parent birds didn't appreciate my presence and =
I tried to walk past the nest as quickly as I could.  To get to the =
sewage lagoons, take Hwy. 4 south out of Sleepy Eye for about one and a =
half miles.  About a mile south of town you'll pass an auto salvage yard =
on your right.  The entrance road to the lagoons is about a half mile =
south of this and will be on your left.  The entrance isn't marked. =20

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye  =20

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C305AB.63DFE570

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While birding at the Sleepy Eye sewage =
lagoons late=20
this morning I found one male <STRONG>Great-tailed =
Grackle</STRONG>.&nbsp; When=20
I pulled up at the entrance it was directly in front of =
me(about&nbsp;150 feet=20
away)&nbsp; feeding on the grass and gravel road that divides the north =
and=20
south lagoons.&nbsp; My first impression was that&nbsp;it was&nbsp;a =
crow but=20
when I looked at it with my binoculars I saw the huge tail, slender=20
body&nbsp;and long, thin bill.&nbsp; There were some =
Killdeer&nbsp;standing near=20
it and it appeared to be twice the size of them.&nbsp; Despite the wind, =
I could=20
clearly hear&nbsp;the whistles and clacks it gave when it called=20
out.&nbsp;&nbsp;I watched it for about five minutes before it flew off =
to the=20
north.&nbsp; As I left the lagoons to go home a short time later, I =
rediscovered=20
the Great-tailed Grackle feeding in&nbsp;the water filled ditch along =
Hwy. 4 and=20
only a few feet from the entrance road to the lagoons&nbsp;.&nbsp; I was =
able to=20
study it really up close this time from a distance of probably twenty =
feet and=20
again could more clearly see how large this bird is.&nbsp; Also evident =
from=20
this distance was the yellow eyes and iridescent black and purple on its =

body.&nbsp; After a minute or so it flew out of the ditch and landed in =
the=20
cattails a&nbsp;short distance away.&nbsp; As I pulled out on the =
highway to=20
leave I noticed that it flew back to&nbsp;the entrance road of the=20
lagoons&nbsp;and was feeding on some spilled grain that someone had =
dumped=20
there.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I saw no shorebirds at the lagoons =
today with the=20
exception of some Killdeer.&nbsp; On the east lagoon there were large =
numbers of=20
waterfowl, most of&nbsp;which&nbsp;were Canvasbacks.&nbsp; There was one =

American White&nbsp;Pelican as well.&nbsp; Please be aware that if you =
visit the=20
lagoons and walk out on the road that divides the north and south =
lagoons there=20
is a Canada Goose nest located about half way down the road with six or =
seven=20
eggs in it.&nbsp;&nbsp;As you&nbsp;would imagine, the parent birds =
didn't=20
appreciate my presence and I tried to walk past the nest as quickly as I =

could.&nbsp; To get to the sewage lagoons, take Hwy. 4 south out of =
Sleepy Eye=20
for about one and a half miles.&nbsp;&nbsp;About a mile south of=20
town&nbsp;you'll pass an auto salvage yard on your right.&nbsp; The =
entrance=20
road to the lagoons is about a half mile south of this and will be on =
your=20
left.&nbsp; The entrance isn't marked.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sleepy=20
Eye&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C305AB.63DFE570--